The West Orange Board of Education hired James Matsakis in an effort to reenergize the West Orange High School Football program and to enhance the all-around academic, physical, social and community skills expected in all West Orange student athletes, the district announced.
“Coach Matsakis has the qualities we were looking for in a head coach”, said Interim Superintendent James O’Neill. “Jim has a demonstrated record of success but beyond that he is a head coach who recognizes that football players are students first and athletes second; a coach who is enthusiastic and has great energy who will enable us to build a deeper program utilizing our local recreation program; a coach with excellent communication skills who will keep players, the administration and parents informed about team and personnel issues. Jim is an excellent coach as well as an excellent teacher. I look forward to the coming football season.”
Matsakis, has a Bachelors of Science degree in mathematics from West Liberty University, a Masters degree in reading from Warner College and a Masters degree in education from Marygrove College. He has coached at West Liberty State University, Wagner College, Emporia State University, Glenville State College and Jefferson and Butler High Schools.
“The goal of the football program is to strive to improve on a daily basis both on and off the field,” Matsakis said. “Our mission is simple, if we can perceive it, we can achieve it!”
“West Orange School Pride Day will be really big this year,” said West Orange High School Athletic Director Ron Bligh. “We look forward to seeing all our students and parents there to cheer on our team, and our school.”
The WO Mountaineer football schedule is as follows:
- Thursday - 9/12 – Teaneck HS – Away – 6 p.m.
- Saturday – 9-21 – West Essex HS – Home – 7 p.m.
- Friday – 9/27 – Bloomfield HS – Home – 7 p.m.
- Friday – 10/4 – Ease Orange Campus HS – Away – 7 p.m.
- Friday – 10/11 – Seton Hall Prep HS – Home – 7 p.m.
- Friday – 10/18 – Nutley HS – Home – 7 p.m.
- Saturday – 10/26 – Columbia HS – Away – 1 p.m.
- Saturday – 11/2 – Montclair HS – Home – 7 p.m.
- Friday – 11/8 – Livingston HS – Away – 7 p.m.