The township council met Tuesday night. Here's five things you need to know about the meeting.
1. Marketing candidate Patrick Sutherland and will be heading up the township's marketing initiative. After a presentation Tuesday night, the township approved Sutherland in a 4-1 vote with councilman Joe Krakoviak voting no. To read more click .
2. A was appointed to replace Edward Coleman who will be retiring this year. John Gross, CFO and village administrator in South Orange will assume the post. To read more click .
3. Residents will notice a decrease in savings in their fourth quarter tax bills after an error was made in the tax revaluation process. A property on Pleasant Valley Way was incorrectly listed as 5,600 acres in size rather than 5,600 square feet. The error was caught by township officials in time for the county to reset the tax rate. The township council approved additional services by Appraisal Systems, Inc and a reduction by $5,000 in their original contract. More on this story to come.
4. Det/Sgt Will Varinelli was named West Orange Employee of the Month by Mayor Robert Parisi.
5. Fire Chief Peter Smeraldo said the office of emergency management responded to more than 300 emergencies in a three-day period following . He said there were 160 , 180 hazard calls, 16 injured people and 37 calls for downed wires.