The problem with a great costume idea is that there comes a tipping point where everybody has it. If you're dreaming of showing up to a party Gangnam Style, then you're already played out. Here are five under-the-radar costume ideas that will earn you cool points from the costume police:
1. Go Gangnam Style, but be that weird dude in a vinyl neon suit from the dance battle scene. His dance moves are just as sweet and you get to order a "Bowl Cut" at the Balonze Barber Shop in Montclair.
2. Please, please, please do not go as a blind NFL referee. It has been done. Instead, play off this great meme and wear referee attire from different sports--stripe shirt, umpire's slacks and facemask, ice skates. Get the point? You are a scab ref and you're too incompetent to dress yourself.
3. Hike up your pants over your belly button, adopt a tough guy scowl, and start talking to empty furniture. Who are you? You're Clint Eastwood!
4. Put a bag over your head and go as a Yankees fan. Or a Mets fan.
5. When in doubt, go absurd. Head over to Halloween Secret, the costume store that has just opened in Montclair at the corner of Bloomfield Avenue and South Park Street, and start mixing and matching weird items from their mass-produced costume section. Gorilla mask and a tutu? Perfect.
In addition to Halloween Secret, other places to check out for costumes in Montclair include Milk Money and Aunt Jean's Toys & Treats.
Have fun! And let us know what you plan to be in the comments section below!