The worst thing to hear from a child during the summer is, “I’m bored.” Sometimes the routine of school and extracurricular activities keeps them so busy that when it’s time to relax, they want to keep going.
Here are some fun things to do during the summer with your kids that are FREE and you probably have the items in your home ready to go.
- Retro paper dolls and planes – Break out the scissors and see if you can remember how to make paper dolls or a great paper plane that floats across the room. Need help? Here is a link for the template for the dolls http://www.origami-resource-center.com/paper-dolls.html and http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/ is the template for the plane.
SUPPLIES: 8 x 11 paper, a ruler, scissors and a paper clip (for the plane)
- Make a Scrapbook – Ask the children to treasure hunt in the backyard (i.e.: small stone, pretty twigs, etc) and have them make a scrapbook and write their favorite memory of the summer. Make sure you have the kids sign and date the book.
Supplies: Construction paper to make album, glue, scissors, color markers and fun stickers.
- Spook-fest – Plan a night to sit around the campfire or fire pit and tell spooky ghost stories while eating S’mores. Make sure you pack your flash light and garlic to keep the vampires away!
Supplies: Ingredients for S’mores
- Homemade Finger Paints – Instead of opening the paint container and finding the paints have dried up, make your own! Here is an easy recipe to make finger paints http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-finger-paint-176355
Supplies: Sugar, cornstarch, food coloring, liquid hand soap, cold water.
- Snow Cones – We found a use for that huge food processor that gathers dust on your counter. Let’s make snow cones! Set your food processor(or blender) on grate and add ice. The shaved ice can be adorned with fruit syrups, juices and even soda.
Supplies: Ice, fruit syrups, juice or soda.
Please feel free to add your FREE ideas on how to have fun with our children this summer.