Rosh Hashanah, Annual Chamber BBQ, Senior Wellness Day, Mayor's Run and Jazz Festival Upcoming
Know of something happening in town that is not on the West Orange calendar? Feel free to add your own events/programs to the list in the Comment section below!
• Schools in the district will be closed for the observance of Rosh Hashanah today and Tuesday. School will resume Wednesday.
• The West Orange Police Athletic League's annual golf outing will begin at 11 a.m. at the Brooklake Country Club, at 139 Brooklake Road, Florham Park.
This annual fundraiser will support West Orange youth baseball, kickball, football and cheerleading programs. For more information, call (973) 713-9670 or go to email@example.com.
• Schools in the district will be closed again today for the observance of Rosh Hashanah. School will resume Wednesday.
• The Energy Commission will meet at 7 p.m. in town hall, 66 Main St.
• ShopRite in Essex Green Plaza, at 1 Rooney Circle, will hold its food drive, Help Bag Hunger, starting at noon. Food donations will be collected by cashiers to help fill the shelves of local community food banks.
• The West Orange Health Department will offer influenza and pneumonia vaccinations between 9 a.m. and noon at the John P. Renna House, at 10 Gaston St.
Persons with Medicare as their primary insurance carrier have no cost for the vaccines. Persons with any other insurance carrier as their primary insurance -- such as an HMO with co-pay and Medicare -- will be charged $25 for an influenza vaccine and $45 for a pneumonia vaccine.
For more information, call (973) 325-4130 or go to www.westorange.org.
• Essex County's seventh annual Senior Wellness Day will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Richard J. Codey Arena, 560 Northfield Ave.
This free event will offer information about programs and services available for seniors, including good nutrition and the benefits of exercise, in addition to health screenings. There will also be entertainment, dancing, free admission to Turtle Back Zoo, food and more.
For more information, call (973) 621-4400. For transportation, call (973) 395-5858.
• The annual West Orange Chamber of Commerce BBQ will be from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Residence Inn by Marriott, 107 Prospect Ave.
Here is your chance to meet other Chamber members, business owners and residents. Invite your employees and show your appreciation for their efforts. Everyone is invited.
Admission is $35 per person. To purchase tickets, call (973) 731-0360 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Back-to-School Night will be held at West Orange High School, 51 Conforti Ave. Parents are invited to go to the high school to meet other parents, teachers and administrators.
• The Zoning Board will meet at 8 p.m. in town hall, 66 Main St.
• The West Orange Public Library will offer a free concert, An Evening of Broadway, starting at 7:30 p.m. at the library.
Celebrate Broadway with New Jersey's top singers performing the classics. The event will be presented by Pleasant Valley Productions.
• The weekly farmers market will be set up from noon to 6 p.m. in the parking lot of town hall, 66 Main St.
• The 10th annual Oskar Schindler Performing Arts Center Jazz Festival and Art Show will will be from 12:30 to 8 p.m. at OSPAC, 4 Boland Drive. This year, the West Orange Arts Council joins the festival with an art show where vendors will show and sell their work.
This day of world-class jazz will be emceed by WBGO’s Gary Walker. The event will be outdoors, and include international food vendors, artisans and crafts, a health spa center, entertainment and various other activities.
Activities for children include Paint the Music led by Nitza Horner, teaching artist and freelance educator affiliated with the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where patrons will paint what they hear.
For a full schedule of events for the day and more information, go to http://www.ospac.org/home.cfm.
• The Mayor’s 5K Run/Walk to Break the Silence of Ovarian Cancer will begin at 10 a.m. at town hall, 66 Main St. There will also be a free kids fun run beginning at 9:30 a.m.
This 22nd annual West Orange Downtown Classic is put on by the support of local business. All funds raised will benefit the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.
For more information, to register or to sponsor a runner, go to http://www.walkforovariancancer.com.