Christie, Wife Named Honorary Chairs For Komen Race
States First Family will serve as honorary chairs for the May 5 event in West Orange.
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Jersey Affiliate announced this week New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and First Lady Mary Pat Christie will serve as honorary chairs for the 2013 Susan G. Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure.
The 5K Race and Walk will be held May 5 at the Essex County South Mountain Recreation Complex in West Orange with a new theme — 'We live here. We race here. We save lives here.'
"We are thrilled that Governor and Mrs. Christie will be serving as our Honorary Race Chairs," Executive Director of Komen North Jersey Jennifer Griola said in a release. "We have also gotten such an enthusiastic response from so many local mayors and town councils in northern New Jersey."
More than 5,000 people — men and women, young and old, survivors and co-survivors, children, families and singles — are expected to participate on Race Day.
Christie’s mother, the late Sondra Christie, died of breast cancer in 2004, and the governor has been a longtime supporter of Komen North Jersey along with his wife.
Of the funds raised, 75 percent funds life-saving programs in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren counties. The remaining 25 percent is donated to breast cancer research.
"We are very proud of the fact that most of what we raise, through the Race and other initiatives, goes to help those who really need our help," Griola said. "Where we live. Right here in our own backyards.”
For additional information, to register, volunteer, or donate, visit www.komennorthjersey.org/race, or call 908-277-2904, ext. 30.